Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Ragnarok DS Final Thoughts


Well, this is a long overdue post I wanted to do a month or so ago but never got around to it. I have played through the main story of Ragnarok DS. The game itself is fairly easy but more relaxing than it is boring. I do have two complaints with this game. First, the game throws a curveball at you about 2/3's of the way in. When you start the game, you have a certain character that joins you that rely on to heal your party. Then there comes a part in the story where this character leaves your party. So, what do you do? You can either a) become the healer yourself or b) recruit a healer that seems to wastes MP casting everything that doesn't involve healing or c) burn through your healing items. A quick tip: don't change the class of an NPC Acolyte into a Priest. They learn a healing spell that heals everybody and I mean EVERYBODY! Yes, the Priest can heal enemies with this spell and drag out battles. I eventually went with the second option and got used to the antics of the Acolyte NPC.

My second complaint is the online content. This game is based on an MMORPG and there's only one area in the whole game that you can do with other people. You have to play at least five to ten hours to reach this area. Considering that I have been playing Phantasy Star Zero for the past six months, I can chime with the criticism of few others when I say this is no PSZ. The multiplayer portion of the game is decent and fun to do, however, it won't be as (and hasn't been considering I've only done the Mirage Tower once) played out as PSZ at this point. Ah, well.

Other than those complaints, I have enjoyed the time I have put into Ragnarok DS. I hope the developers decide to add in more online content if they attempt another Ragnarok on a console or handheld in the future. I'm not sure the developers ever intend to make another Ragnarok for a console or handheld in the future though. I'm figuring their intent of making this game is to recruit DS players to play the actual MMO considering the game came with a card that has a code to get bonus material from the Ragnarok MMO. With that said, this concludes my final thoughts on Ragnarok DS.